Saturday, January 22, 2011

Coconut Rice and disinterested days

My new default dish is Coconut rice. Today we're having it with shrimp. Don't get me wrong, it's delish! I could eat it just about every day, but it's become my go-to. The pot roast of my childhood days.

Remember childhood? Mine was complicated and simple. Meals were one of four dishes when it was made at home. Otherwise, and most likely, we ate out. Ranking number 1 was Pot Roast (with baby carrots, onions, yukon potatoes, green onions, and sometimes mushrooms (or other random add-ins that had to be used) with white rice and corn. Number 2. Beef stew with white rice- it was almost like a gravy soup, really... Number 3. Corned beef hash- out of a can, but seasoned tastily- with white rice and corn. Number 4. Sandwich night (blts or burgers or pb-and-js).

Thrown in were random Breakfast-for-Dinner nights and we'd have waffles and pancakes. Dessert-for-Dinner nights- once every few months we'd go to Basken Robins and get sundaes. If we were too broke to eat out, it was M.I.Y. (make it yourself) which were usually cereal, omelets, sandwiches or, if you were daring like me, leftovers.

We were out of the house a lot when we were kids (my younger brother, older sister and I). My sister and I played sports year-round (softball, baseball, soccer, basketball (her), volleyball (me), fieldhockey (her), drama (me)) so we usually ate terribly at the ball fields or concession stands. We'd bring more sandwiches and chips and gatorade, fruits and sunflower seeds. Drink slushies and run amok with sugar highs and crashes, games and just being brats- err... kids.

So, will this trend of making coconut rice continue? If I ever have kids, will they groan at the thought of having it again? I don't know. I like to cook too much and although it's an easy and relatively cheap dish, I like to think I'll be more creative.

But then again, I am doing it now as a default for boyo and I.

And the cycle continues. =P

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Finding my Passions Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger